Wake up happy more often in your day by following the path of clarity with a great outlook! We’ve all heard of waking up on the wrong side of the bed, but the reality is, for some people both sides are wrong. The action of waking up each day isn’t looked at as a joyful experience, but instead one to be dreaded. I want to make sure you don’t have to continue to experience that feeling and that you begin to truly wake up on the right side of the bed…no matter which side you wake from.
There are a lot of things that go into making sure you wake up happy each and every day of your life and I want to help make sure you’ve got all the pieces. In fact, once you understand how to truly wake up happy every day of your life, you are simply going to begin having a much more amazing life.
Wake Up Happy By Going To Bed Empty
There is nothing more draining than going to bed with a mind full of ideas. We tend to lay there at night tossing and turning trying to remember the events of our day, the things that we’ve got to do tomorrow, and so much more. Our minds are full, busy, awake, yet we are trying to get some much needed rest because we truly need to be at our best.
If this sounds like you, don’t worry, before I knew more about what it took to wake up happy every day I too was in the same position. The very first thing we have to realize is that it’s ok to turn off. Heck, we’ve given the day our best, but tonight belongs to us. We don’t have to get anything done, answer any phones, or take any orders. What we do have to do is rest and rest deeply. In fact, our entire day tomorrow depends on this moment in our lives to be calm, peaceful, and recharging.
To make sure we are fully disengaged, it’s a great suggestion from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (great book) that we write prior to sleeping.
- Write Down The Most Important Things For Tomorrow – You are going to realize that once we write things down, it in turn allows us to let things go. We no longer have to remember things or worry about forgetting them because we’ve written them down and now we are ready to wake up and tackle those very things. This is going to take a bit of practice getting used to if writing these types of things down each night isn’t already a part of your schedule, but within 30 days, it’ll be a part of your new routine and life.
- Write In A Journal – Nothing clears our minds more than putting everything we’ve thought about all day down onto paper somewhere. I prefer paper because it allows me to completely unplug from computers and work related tasks and it forces me to slow down a bit and take my time in reflection (lots of great things come from this time). In fact, this is one of my favorite moments of my day and one of the main reasons why I always wake up happy every day.
- Hang It Outside – This last bit of advice came to me from a friend many years ago. He share with me that every day he came home from work he’d hang his stress on a little branch outside his door. He told me, “I leave it hanging there rather than bringing it in to my home. The funny thing is, every morning I wake up and leave the house, I realize someone stole my stress because it’s never still hanging there.” I thought that was a powerful idea and have been using it for years and like my friend, I too must have a stress thieve because my stresses are stolen from the branch each night too.
Imagine going to bed with this type of clear mind and how you are now going to wake up happy from all your much needed stress free rest!
Wake Up Happy With A Routine To Go To Bed In Peace
If you truly want to wake up happy every day you are going to have to tell your body when it is time to sleep. Yes, you are going to want to have a great idea of your landing time. The time you begin putting everything aside, wrapping up your day, and winding down for rest.
We are creatures of habits and to have success we’ve got to have successful habits in everything we do. At your job I’m certain that you have a very specific way you answer phones, schedule appointments, get work done…and if you don’t it may be time to think about creating those pieces as well.
Here is an ideal wrap up of a great day and one that should inspire the most effective and energizing sleep for your night;
- Stop Eating Hours Before – You don’t want your body to be working while it should be sleeping. You don’t want to be digesting foods when you should be powering up with rest. It’s always suggested to have a cut off point of when we are going to be done eating and that should be anywhere from 3-4 hours prior to bedtime. You don’t want to be going to sleep with a full belly (even though it may feel happier) because we want our bodies to get a break.
- Create A Wrap Up Session – You’ve seen this in nearly everything in your life. Sports teams have a timer that buzzes saying, “That’s it folks…game over.” Our bosses have a schedule that says, “This is when you are done working,” (even though they’d like to keep us much longer). You’ve gotta send that little signal to your brain to saying, “hey, it’s about that time…,” so you can comfortable wind things down a bit and get ready for sleep so you can assure you wake up happy every day!
Learning to wake up happy is going to take a bit of practice because up until now you may not have been completely aware of what’s been causing anything but you being able to wake up happy. That’s ok because each and every one of us is always learning to grow forward and there is no time where it’s too late for us.
I hope you truly enjoyed discovering a few more ways to make sure you wake up happy so you can begin waking up on the right side of the bed every day as well. Oh, lastly, if you have a significant other in your life, share this with them as well. If all goes right, they may even give you a few more ideas to add to your nightly routine that should assure to also go to bed happy…ya know, so you can DEFINITELY, wake up happy!